(Irini-) Kalisteni Avdelidi is engaged in research work at the Institute of Social Research of the National Centre for Social Research in Athens. She is a D.P.L.G. Architect, with specialization in Historical and Technical Research in Contemporary Art, and City and regional planner with research expertise in social considerations of urban design/planning and in the spatial morphology of urban tissue. In the past, she had professional activities as architect and urban designer and planner for studies of architecture, urban design and planning as well as transport in Athens, Paris and Vienna. She also collaborated with the Atelier de Recherches Techniques Avancées in Paris for a research project that she conducted concerned with the graphic representations as regards the description and the study of urban phenomena and was a visiting researcher in urban planning and design in Vienna with the Gottfried-von-Herder scholarship. Her research activities, as scientific responsible or as member of European and National research programs and projects, focused on interdisciplinary areas concerned with ecology and sustainable use of space in urban and wider geographical context, by developing methodological approaches for the meeting of urban design and sociology and the geol-historical dimension related with the morphology, the description and the analysis of the European urban environment and based mainly to the empirical exploration of the field of activities, uses, social-anthropological data and spatial proprieties of city public open space. She has authored, edited and co-authored books, scientific articles, chapters of collective volumes, monographs, research reports, and has participated in international conferences and workshops with scientific contributions.
- Ecology, sustainability and the issue of the use of space in urban and wider geographical context
- Development of methodological and interdisciplinary approaches for the combination of social considerations with urban design and the geo-historical dimensions.
- Exploration of the morphology of urban tissue and graphic representations as regards the description and the study of urban phenomena
- Analysis of urban environment by focusing on activities, uses, social-anthropological data and spatial proprieties of urban open public space.
- Member of the Board of the Personnel Association of NCSR (EKKE).
- Member of project assignment committees, KYDEP
- Member and substitute member of committees for concluding of the lease of projects, NCSR (EKKE).
- Evaluator of trans-national and national research projects, GSRT.
- Coordination of European and National Research Projects, NCSR (EKKE).
- Scientific head in charge of the project "Social impact of urban design and planning on the sustainable development of cities" of the research program "Social impact and public policies in the fields of energy, industry, urban design, and internet infrastructure" of the National Centre for Social Research, NCSR/ GSRT
- Scientific head in charge of non-funded with external grants research project "Everyday life and urbanity. Concepts, definitions and empirical observations in socially sensitive neighborhoods contiguous to large breaks through city tissue", of the Institute of Social Research of the National Centre for Social Research ISR/NCSR
- Scientific head in charge with K. Gortsos of the non-funded project “Urbanisation and Public Space in the Eastern Coast of Attica: the birth of a problematic ‘city’”, of the Institute of Social Research of the National Centre for Social Research ISR/NCSR
- Scientific head in charge of the project “Use of Natural Spaces of Athens – a complex indicator for inhabitants’ quality of life” realized as part of the larger research program Excellence II “Trends of Social Change in the Urban Space of Athens at the beginning of 21st century”, GSRT Action “Promotion of excellence in technological development and research”, of the Institute of Urban and Rural Sociology of the National Centre for Social Research IURS/NCSR
- Scientifichead in charge for the proposal and co-responsible for the project of the National Centre for Social Research as Associate Contractor to the European research project “Rediscovering the Urban Realm and Open Spaces”, Fifth Framework Program: “Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development” Key Action 4 “City of Tomorrow and Cultural Heritage” EU, CRES co-ordinator, DITEC, EIF, NCSR (EKKE), UCAM, UKASS, USHEFF, Municipality of Alimos, Municipality of Thermi, Ville Fribourg
- Member of the research team of the project “Drained lakes: socialeconomic, ecological and cultural dimensions in Karla and Agoulinitsa”, of the Institute of Urban and Rural Sociology of the National Centre for Social Research IURS/NCSR.
- Member of the research team of the project “Big Greek Cities and Ports of Continental Greece”, IURS/NCSR (EKKE)
- Coordinator and scientific head in charge of the research project “Graphic simulation in the study of urban phenomena”, Atelier de Recherches Avancées ARTA / CCI.
- Research training for students in sociology (10), social anthropology (2), urban and regional planning (3), geography (1), architecture (1)
- Member of several boards of examiners for obtaining the diploma of architect (Paris)