Apostolos G Papadopoulos has studied sociology in Greece (B.Sc. Department of Sociology, Panteion University of Political and Social Sciences) and in the UK (M.Sc (Econ), Department of Sociology, London School of Economics and Political Science) and holds a DPhil in Geography (University of Sussex). He has been employed as researcher at the National Centre for Social Research (EKKE), the University of Patras and the Agricultural University of Athens. He was elected Lecturer in the University of Ioannina where he served for five years. Next, he was elected Assistant Professor at the Department of Geography in Harokopio University, where, currently, holds the position of Professor in Rural Sociology and Geography. In the same university, he has been Director of Postgraduate Studies of the M.Sc. entitled: “Applied Geography and Spatial Planning” (2009-2011), Vice-Rector of Economic Affairs and Development (2011-2015), and Dean of the School of Environment, Geography and Applied Economics (2017-2018).
He has coordinated as project leader, while also he worked as a senior researcher in, several research projects financed by the European Commission, the Greek State and other organizations. He has published numerous papers in international journals (Agrarian South: Journal of Political Economy; Agriregionieuropa; Applied Geography; Autonomie Locali e Servizi Sociali; Environment and Planning C; Europa XXI; Frontiers in Sociology; International Review of Sociology; Italian Review of Agricultural Economics; Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies; Journal of Rural Cooperation; Journal of Rural Studies; Méditerranée; Migration Letters; Sociologia Ruralis; Southeast European and Black Sea Studies), in Greek academic journals (Γεωγραφίες; Επιθεώρηση Κοινωνικών Ερευνών; Επιθεώρηση Πολιτικής Επιστήμης; Κοινωνιολογική Επιθεώρηση), collected volumes and conference proceedings. He has edited or co-edited eight collected volumes (two of them were published by Ashgate Publishers in 1999 and 2010) and co-authored one book. His research has been published in Greek, English, Italian and Portuguese.
He has been member of the Working Group on Migration coordinated by the Prime Minister Office (Greek Prime Minister Office –Official Gazette (FEK) Issue 1650/25-08-2011). He was appointed as member of the Advisory Board (2017-2020) of the International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM), which is a European Research and Education Organization with its headquarters located in Paris; for the last two-year period (2019-2020) he was elected Chair of this scientific advisory body.
From the position of President of the Hellenic Sociological Association (HSS) he has undertaken the task to organize in Greece one of the largest social science congresses. He was the Chair of the LOC for the organization of the 13th ESA Conference Athens: “(Un)Making Europe: Capitalism, Solidarities, Subjectivities”, 29 August to 1 September 2017. Consequently, he was elected member of the Executive Committee (EC) of the European Sociological Society (ESA) for two consecutive periods (2017-2019, 2019-2021) and Vice-President of External Affairs in the same organization for both periods.
Currently, he is Editor-in-Chief of the international peer reviewed journal Sociologia Ruralis for four years (2020-2023) and Associate Editor of the journal NEW MEDIT: Mediterranean Journal of Economics, Agriculture and Environment. Moreover, he is member of the editorial board of the journals Migration Letters, Europa XXI and Κοινωνιολογική Επιθεώρηση; member of the international scientific board of the journals Border Studies, Social Studies [Studime Sociale], and Autonomie locali e servizi sociali; and member of the scientific board of the journal Social Cohesion and Development (Κοινωνική Συνοχή και Ανάπτυξη).
- Social class and social mobility
- Rural transformations
- Rural development and policy
- Family farming
- Labour market and economic restructuring
- Migrant labour and integration
- Migration policy
- Mobilities and spatial justice
- Social impact of social research
- (2022-2024) - “Research Actions concerning Rural Sociology”. Financed by the European Society for Rural Sociology (ESRS) & Wiley. Project leader (HUA): A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2021-2023) - “EU survey on Gender-Based violence against women and other forms of inter-personal violence (EU-GBV) in Greece” [ESTAT-2020-EL-GBV Survey-101018006]". Financed by EUROSTAT – European Commission. Project leader (ISR/EKKE): A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2021) - “Evaluation of the UIA project “Curing the Limbo””. Financed by EATA S.A. – Municipality of Athens. Project leader (ISR/EKKE): A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2020-2022) - “Maximising Previously Acquired Competences in Europe (MaxiPAC.eu) [2019-1-BE02-KA203-060340]". Financed by ERASMUS plus – European Commission. Partner leader (ISR/EKKE): A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2019-2021) – “Low-skill Migrant Workers in Europe: How to Improve Social Cohesion?” Financed by Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung/ Foundation for European Progressive Studies/ Think-tank for Action on Social Change. Partner (HUA) leader: A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2019-2020) – “Economy, Environment and Landscape in the Long Duree of Cyprus: A Synthetic Analysis with use of Historical Data and GIS Applications”. Financed by S. Ioannou Foundation. Project Leader: Christos Chalkias (HUA). Senior researcher: A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2017-2022) – “Integrative Mechanisms for Addressing Spatial Justice and Territorial Inequalities in Europe – IMAGINE”. Financed by the Horizon 2020 Framework Programme. Coordinator: University of Aberystwyth. Partner (HUA) leader: A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2017-2018) – “Innovating spatial development planning by differentiating land ownership and governance”. Financed by the Belgian Agency for Innovation by Science and Technology. Project leader: P.M. Delladetsimas (HUA). Senior researcher: A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2014) – “Developing a cooperation network to link representatives of Mediterranean Member States for exchanging views and experiences (Project 4.1a/12)”. Financed by the European Fund for Third Country Nationals. Project leader (HUA): A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2013-2018) – “CYCLADES: Integrated monk seal conservation in Northern Cyclades”. Financed by the European Commission – LIFE+ Nature. Coordinator: WWF Greece. Partner (HUA) leader: A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2012-2013) – “Mapping existing institutional structures which offer services for the integration of Third Country Nationals in Greece as well as writing down requirements for similar structures (Project 2.1a/11)”. Financed by the European Fund for Third Country Nationals. Coordinator: EKKE. Partner (HUA) leader: A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2012-2013) – “Establishment of a cooperation network bringing together representatives of EU Mediterranean Member States, confronting similar with Greece, integration challenges of Third Country Nationals (Project 4.1a/11)”. Financed by the European Fund for Third Country Nationals. Project leader (HUA): A.G. Papadopoulos.
- (2010-2013) – “Study of the dynamics and the opportunities for the integration of African immigrants in the Greek receiving society”. Financed by the Ministry of Education under the EPAN II Operational Programme. Project leader (HUA): A.G. Papadopoulos.
- L.M. Fratsea and A.G. Papadopoulos (2022), “Fisheries co-management in the ‘age of the commons’: Social capital, power asymmetries and antagonisms in the Aegean Sea ", in J.A. Kolodziej-Durnas, F. Sowa, M.C. Grasmeier (eds), Maritime Spaces and Society: Selected Studies in Maritime Sociology, Brill, (Forthcoming).
- Α.Γ. Παπαδόπουλος (2022), Εισαγωγή: Μεταναστευτική διαδικασία, διαεθνικότητα και πολιτική στην εποχή της κρίσης και μετά την κρίση, Κοινωνιολογική Επιθεώρηση, Νο 8, σελ. 9-25.
- Α.Γ. Παπαδόπουλος και Λ.Μ. Φρατσέα (2022), Αποκωδικοποιώντας την Αφρικανική Μετανάστευση στην Ελλάδα της Κρίσης: Μεταξύ Κινητικότητας, Δράσης και Ένταξης, Κοινωνιολογική Επιθεώρηση, Νο 8, σελ. 77-106.
- A.G. Papadopoulos, L.M. Fratsea, S.N. Spyrellis, P. Baltas (2021), Exploring the contribution of migrant labour in Greek agriculture, Italian Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 76, No 1, 33-48 https://doi.org/10.36253/rea-12574
- A.G. Papadopoulos and L.M. Fratsea (2021), Migrant and Refugee Impact on Wellbeing in Rural Areas: Reframing Rural Development Challenges in Greece, Frontiers in Sociology, 6:592750. https://doi.org/10.3389/fsoc.2021.592750
- L.M. Fratsea and A.G. Papadopoulos (2021), Making sense of the constellations of (im)mobility of Bangladeshi migrants in Greece, Migration Letters, Vol. 18, No 1, pp. 49-60. https://doi.org/10.33182/ml.v18i1.1092
- A.G. Papadopoulos and L.M. Fratsea (2020), Transformative Mobilities and Resilience Dynamics in Rural Coastal Greece in times of Recession, in F.N. Doner, E. Figueiredo and M.J. Rivera (eds), Crisis, Post-Crisis and Rural Territories: Social change, challenges and opportunities in Southern and Mediterranean Europe, Springer, pp. 141-162.
- L.M. Fratsea and A.G. Papadopoulos (2020), The social and spatial mobility strategies of migrants: Romanian migrants in rural Greece, in J.F. Rye and O’Reilly (eds), International Labour Migration to Europe’s Rural Regions, Routledge, pp. 37-51.
- A.G. Papadopoulos (2019), Editorial: Spatial Justice in Europe. Territoriality, Mobility and Peripherality, Europa XXI, No 37. https://doi.org/10.7163/Eu21.2019.37.1
- A.G. Papadopoulos and L.M. Fratsea (2019), Migration and Refugee Flows in Greece in the Post-Crisis Period: Exploring Different Claims for Socio-Spatial Justice, Autonomie Locali e Servizi Sociali, 2019/3, pp. 401-423. doi: 10.1447/96701.
- A.G. Papadopoulos (2019), Professionalization, precarity and the Greek labour market: Revisiting professional sociology in the period following the financial crisis, International Review of Sociology, Vol. 29, No 3, pp. 354-377.
- A.G. Papadopoulos, L.M. Fratsea, P. Karanikolas and S. Zografakis (2019), Reassembling the rural: Socio-economic dynamics, inequalities and resilience in crisis-stricken rural Greece, Sociologia Ruralis, Vol. 59, No 3, pp. 474-493.
- A.G. Papadopoulos (2019), Rural Planning and the Financial Crisis, in M. Scott, N. Gallent and M. Gkartzios (eds), Routledge Companion to Rural Planning, Routledge, pp. 183-191.
- A.G. Papadopoulos, L.M. Fratsea, G. Mavrommatis (2018), Governing migrant labour in an intensive agricultural area in Greece: Focusing on precarity, political mobilization and migrant agency at Manolada’s fields, Journal of Rural Studies, Vol. 64, pp. 200-209
- A.G. Papadopoulos (2018), Migration policy and migrant integration in Greece during the period of economic downturn, in G. Kouzis and C. Dimoulas (eds), Social Policy, Crisis, Social Impasses and Solutions, Athens, Topos, pp. 273-295. (in Greek)