Pavlos Baltas is a Researcher in Institute of Social Research (IKE) at the Greek National Center for Social Research (EKKE). His current research interests are lying in the areas of Demographic Analysis, Population Geography and the use of Big Data (Satellite images and Social Media Data) in social sciences. He has worked at Observatoire Démographique Européen (ODE) of Institut National d'Etudes Démographiques (INED) and in several research projects on Demographic Analysis, Population Projections, Data Analysis and Thematic Mapping. He has been adjunct lecturer at University of Bordeaux, University of Thessaly, Athens University of Economic and Business, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and at University of Aegean. He holds a PhD in Demography, a MSc entitled “Population, Development and Prospective” and a MSc entitled “Planning and Regional Development”.
- Demographic Analysis
- Population Geography
- Big Data in social sciences
- Data mining of social media data
- Social Cartography
- Estimating Seasonal Population via Night-Time Satellite Images, Principal Investigator
- The perspective of a permanent refugees’ and immigrants’ settlement in Greece revealing the demographic and socio economic consequences and their importance for the Greek society’s acceptance, research team member.
- Population Projections, Population of Greece in 2050, research team member.
- Demography of Europe and industrialized countries, research team member.
- Atlas Démographique de la Grèce, research team member.
- Gavalas V., Baltas P. (2022) Gender inequalities and sex-differential mortality in pre-war Greece: A Regional Perspective. Geneaology 6, no. 1: 5. https://doi.org/10.3390/genealogy6010005
- Stathakis, D., Liakos,L., Baltas,P. (2021). COVID-19 Pandemic Assessment by Night-Lights,2021 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium IGARSS. IEEE:Brussels 10.1109/IGARSS47720.2021.9553441
- Gavalas V., Baltas P. (2021) Reproduction in the Archipelago of the Aegean 1920-2016: long term trends and recent upturns. Journal of Family History.doi.org/10.1177/03631990211022283
- Papadopoulos GA, Fratsea LM, Spyrellis SN, Baltas P. (2021). Exploring Migrant Labour Contribution in Greek agriculture, REA Italian Review of Agricultural Economics.
- Stathakis D., Baltas P., (2018), “Seasonal population estimates based on night-time lights.”, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 68:133–141, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2017.12.001
- Kotzamanis V., Baltas P., Kostaki A., (2017).The Trend of Period Fertility in Greece and it’s Changes During the Current Economic Recession. Population Review, vol. 56(2):30-48. https://doi.org/10.1353/prv.2017.0006.
- ΑΥ2021-2022, Adjunct Lecturer in Social Demography, Department of Sociology, University,University of Aegean.
- ΑΥ2020-2021, Adjunct Lecturer in Research Tools for Social Sciences, Department of Sociology, University,University of Aegean.
- ΑΥ2019-2020, Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Geography, University of Aegean, Lessons taught: a)Multivariate Analysis, b) Methods of Regional Analysis ,c) Regions and Innovation
- Υ2018-2019 Adjunct Lecturer in Social Cartography, School of Spatial Planning and Development, Faculty of Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
- ΑΥ2016-2017 Adjunct Lecturer in Spatial Demography, Department of Planning and Regional Development, University of Thessaly, Greece.
- ΑΥ2016-2017 Adjunct Lecturer in Statistical Demography, Department of Statistics, Athens University of Economic and Business, Greece.
- ΑΥ2015-2016 Adjunct Lecturer in Demography-Demographic Analysis, Department of Planning and Regional Development, University of Thessaly, Greece.
- ΑΥ2012-2013 Adjunct Lecturer in Informatique Appliquée (ATER), Institut d’Études Démographiques, École Entreprise, économie, société, Université de Bordeaux, France.