Fereniki Vatavali is an Applied Researcher at the Institute of Social Science of the National Center of Social Research since 2021. She holds a diploma in architectural engineering (1996-2002), as well as a master (2003-2005) and a PhD (2006-2010) on urban and regional planning from National Technical University of Athens. Her research activity and publications focus on the production and the planning of urban space.
- Production of urban space
- Spatial planning
- Environmental planning
- CULTURAL H.ID.RA.N.T. - CULTURAL Hidden IDentities ReAppear through Networks of WaTer” (2020-2021). Team member.
- Geographies of energy poverty in Athens during the crisis. (2015). Research coordinator.
- Transformations of the relation between public and private in social housing complexes in Greek cities (2009-2011). Member of the research team.
- Fundamental principles of planning of a Metropolitan Green Park at the former airport of Hellinikon (2009-2010). Member of the research team.
- Vatavali F., Garreiou Z., Kehagia F., Zervas E. (2020), Impact of the COVID-19 on citizens’ everyday life in Greek cities. Perceptions, experiences and practices of employees. Sustainability 12, 9410, 1-17.
- Chatzikonstantinou E., Vatavali F. (2020), Housing production and energy use in Greece Insights from History and New Social Challenges, Journal of architectural and urban planning theory, 3-4: 6-17.
- Vatavali F. (2017), Housing production and land ownership during the period 1990-2007. Social dimensions of the transformations in the city of Ioannina, Geographies, 29: 78-96 (in Greek).
- Vatavali F., Chatzikonstantinou E. (2018), Geographies of energy poverty in Athens during the crisis. Three texts and six stories of apartment buildings. Angelus Novus (in Greek).
- Vatavali F. (2017), Housing production and land ownership in Albania in the context of transition. Social aspects of the transformations in the city of Gjirokastër, The Greek Review of Social Research, 147 (in Greek).
- Triantis L., Vatavali F. (2016), Informality and land development in Albania: land reforms and socioeconomic dynamics in a coastal settlement, Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography, 98 (4): 289–303.
- 2017-2022 MSc “Environmental Planning”, Hellenic Open University. Adjunct teaching staff.
- 2018-2019 School of Rural, Surveying and Geoinformatics Engineering. Adjunct lecturer.
- 2016-2018 Department of Architecture Engineering of University of Thessaly. Adjunct lecturer.
- 2014-2017 MSc “Environmental Design of Cities and Buildings”, Hellenic Open University. Adjunct teaching staff.
- 2005-2008 Department of Architecture Engineering of Democritus University of Thrace. Adjunct lecturer.